Rio de Janeiro
The colours of the carnival, the incredible beaches, the food, the caprihinia, the bustling streets, the sun…. you must go to Rio de Janeiro once in your lifetime. Preferably more than once. The main reason you may want to go to Brazil is for the Grand Prix, but Rio does has so much to offer.
TOP 5 THINGS TO DO IN RIO:
1. CHRIST THE REDEEMER/SUGARLOAF MOUNTAIN:Parque Nacional da Tijuca/Cosme Velho & Av Pasteur, 520. For unbeatable views of Rio you absolutely have to make your way up to Christ the Redeemer and Sugarloaf Mountain. Tours are available for those who enjoy learning more about what they are experiencing.
- Christ the Redeemer: Take the bus or the train up to the monument. It is worth braving the crowds. Even if you do not consider yourself religious, this is a spiritual experience.
- Sugarloaf Mountain: Take the cable car up to the top of the mountain. Walk through beautiful forests and enjoy astonishing views.
2. JARDIM BOTANICO (BOTANICAL GARDEN): Rua Jardim Botanico 1008. Founded in 1808 by the Portuguese King John VI, these beautiful gardens are now a UNESCO biosphere reserve. Home to 900 varieties of palm trees (who knew there were that many?) and 500 varieties of orchids. Discover more than 6,000 species of plants; flora and fauna from around the world, some giant Amazonian water lilies and monkeys and toucans! Lose yourself, explore and relax in 346 stunning acres. To be thoroughly informed about what you are seeing - book a tour.
3. MARACANA STADIUM: Av. Pres. Castelo Branco Portao 3. If you are a football fan, a sports stadium enthusiast or just someone with a sense of occasion - you must visit the famous Maracana Stadium. Tickets for CR Flamengo or Fluminense FC matches start from 40 Real. The atmosphere is incredible.
4. MURETA DA URCA: Watch the sun set over Rio with a cold beer in hand. Stunning views of Guanabara Bay, street food, good friends, beer and an evening show from a celestial body - could anything be more perfect? Maybe staying up to see the sun rise?
5. ILHA GRANDE (THE BIG ISLAND): 2 hours south of Rio lies a paradise. Turquoise sea, lush green vegetation, forest trails, waterfalls - all in a year-round tropical climate. Day trips from Rio are available, a longer stay is recommended.
TOP 5 PLACES TO EAT IN RIO:
1. ABELARDO RESTAURANTE & BAR: Avenida Embaixador Abelardo Bueno 1430. When Trip Advisor reviews use words like 'exquisite' and suggest that 'the chef that created my dish might well be a genius' - you know you must visit. This food is contemporary and creative Brazilian; beautiful décor and attentive, friendly staff make for a wonderful atmosphere. Come here for breakfast, lunch or dinner. You will not be disappointed.
2. ORG BISTRO: Avenida Olegario Maciel 175/ Loja G. Brazilian's make incredible meat dishes - if you are vegetarian or simply fancy a change, then this is the place for you. Fresh, organic ingredients are used with imagination at Org. The menu includes beautiful salads, soups and juices. The positive reputation is well-deserved. Booking is recommended. Open 12pm-8pm.
3. CHURRASCARIA PALACE: Rua Rodolfo Dantas 16 / Copacabana. In the heart of Rio's traditional, lively Copacabana - this churrascaria is in its 65th year. Expect an abundance of delicious barbequed meat on skewers, a vast salad bar and great, multi-lingual staff. You won't go hungry.
4. GALETO 183: Rua de Santana 183/Centro. For authentic Portuguese cuisine with no airs and graces head downtown to Galeto 183. For the traditional experience choose meat with salsa, rice, beans and fries. Lovely staff and reasonable prices.
5. ESTRELAS DA BABILONIA: Ladeira Ari Barroso. Outstanding view and delicious food - need we say more? Located in a favela, so you'll feel like a local! Reviews say how friendly and helpful the locals are and how safe they felt. A little gem. You must try the empanadas!
Rio Place to Stay
Miramar by Windsor
- Stunning location
- Rooftop pool
- Excellent restaurant
- Fully air conditioned
- 200 rooms
- Business centre
- Private beach
- Fitness room
- Sea view rooms
- Beach sunloungers
- Infinity Pool
- Friendly staff
WHY CHOOSE THIS TRIP?
- VIP hospitality
- Greats views of the track
- Airport transfer
- Choice of luxury hotels
- Gourmet dining, wine and beers
- GPA team on hand throughout
- Private washrooms
- Earplugs, lanyard & ticket wallet
- Knowledgeable and friendly staff
A brilliant weekend from being met at the airport on Wednesday meant thorough 5* service from GPA. Can't fault the traveling with GPA and would so so again, definitely recommended. A fabulous weekend, many thanks! Helen & Richard Laidlaw
GPA have been outstanding and we cannot thank you guys enough for the hospitality. We've made new friends and it truly has been a trip of a lifetime, THANK YOU! :-) Nathan Lund & Andrea Kokonas
Thanks Kenny, really appreciate you taking care of Polly & me during the Grand Prix this year, next time we'll get in with McLaren or Red Bull yeah? - Silverstone Sid Owen & Polly Parsons
This was a once-in-a-lifetime surprise trip for my husbands birthday. I was so pleased to see his excitement as to how close we were to the cars and how we were treated as true VIP's. - Monaco Mrs Valet
Thanks Ken, Singapore for the past 4 years with you and now Monaco too - love what you do and I know you love what you do! Keep it up, see you in Singapore! - 2013, 12. 11, 10, 09, 08 Singapore, Monaco, Silverstone Vas & Andrea
Copyright © 2023 Grand Prix Adventures. All rights reserved.